Monday, November 11, 2013

Val Kilmer's Wings of Courage


My excuse to go back and take the "right" camera :D
Well, it was definitely so much more than I thought it would be.  I could use Twain's huge dictionary to try and find all the right words AND use them ALL and still, it would not describe the night.  For me, it was a magical night.  I felt like Cinderella. I was brought from the joy of laughter to tears of deep anguish and then back to a place of hope.

I have loved Val Kilmer from Madmartigan to Thunderheart and now to Mark Twain and all the roles before and in between.  I have seen him live in The Ten Commandments and now in Citizen Twain.  I would recommend this show to anyone and everyone!

Val truly became Mark Twain.  He was irreverent, hilarious, and yet so totally serious.  I could feel the heat and see the beads of perspiration breaking out in the audience when he told us to APOLOGIZE to the Native Americans.  When he brought up slavery and all that slavery entails it reminded me of my heroine Harriet Tubman.

Val's rendition of Mark Twain, updated to our day and time, also reminds us of the bodies, blood, sweat and tears that brought us to this point.  He reminds us of what we threw away and of the importance of looking back on  those various groups of people we so mistakenly called "uncivilized heathens" to see that THEY had it all along, that which we seek so desperately now.

I dub thee Val:  Wings of Courage, to so properly address such topics so brazenly before a public that truly does not want to admit their wrongs or to apologize for the horrible mistakes of our ancestors.


No comments:

Post a Comment